Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Week 9-Does your art make any kind of social or political statement? What do you think about art or artists that make social or political statements? Is it the responsibility of the artist to comment on or raise public awareness?

I dont believe that any of my art makes a social or political statement because i havent taken anything so personally i become outraged. Artists are competely entitled to make social or political statements through their artwork. Artists sometimes take their emotions out on their pieces. Its a way of therapy for them. If someone felt really strongly about a subject i know tons of people who wouldnt be afraid to put it on a canvas. Some artists would really feel honored if they thought people understood what the artist was trying to say. I dont think it is the responsibilty of the artist to raise public awareness, but i feel more times than others, they feel like they need to otherwise other people wont do it. Everyone can relate to a piece of artwork. Not everyone can relate to someones words.

1 comment:

G Tone said...

Usually my work doesn't consist of political or social statements. That is not really what I want my viewers to focus on when seeing my work. I don't really have a position on artists who do have these types of statements in their work, if that's what they want to do, then they should do it. Art is a very powerful tool, so to incorporate it into a message that can bring awareness to the world I think is a wonderful thing. It is everyone's responsibility to create public awareness, not just artists. Artist can have a big part with their talent as an advantage but everyne can play a part as well.