Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Week 6-Is Otis what you expected? Reflecting back to the days before you attended Otis, what did you expect to experience or happen? How is that that different from your actual experience so far?

Otis has met and exceeded my expectations. Before I came I expected Otis to be challenging and educational, but was unclear about exactly what the classes would entail. I though the names of my classes sounded hokey. When my friends (none of whom were going to art school) would ask me what my classes were, my replies of “Form and Space 1” and “Connections Through Color and Design” were met with blank stares. I really did not know what to expect of the curriculum beyond its being very demanding and time consuming. It certainly has proved to be both of those things, but I also feel that I have learned a great deal. I am impressed by the lack of busy work. I am also particularly impressed by the practical applicability of what I have learned. I get the sense that everything that I do at this school is aimed at helping me to become an artist as a profession, not just at helping me to make beautiful objects. I feel that my experience at Otis so far, time consuming, expensive and challenging as it has been, has been very much worthwhile.

No comments: