Monday, January 22, 2007

What is an artist?

What is an artist? Who is an artist? Am I an artist? Growing up everyone always told me I was fairly good at art, I was awarded "Class Artist" for Senior Superlatives, so it seemed only natural for me to go to art school. I couldn't do math or anything else for the life of me, not because I wasn't smart enough, I just didn't feel like it. So I pose the question, does that make me an artist? Personally, I don't think it does. I don't think there is such thing as an artist, anywhere. Is there even such thing as art? I haven't seemed to have been able to find a clear-cut definition of what makes something art, therefor what makes someone an artist. I feel its more like generalized specialization, or "idiot's savants" even, where someone excels in one field. This is the basis of Plato's Republic, where specialization eliminates a ruler or government because idealistically you wouldn't branch out of your field of specialty. Naturally it isn't that simple and people are good at many things. However, in my opinion, I don't believe in an "Artist" as much as I do in talents and specialties and abilities, where I may be good at painting, and you may be good at calculus, so who is to say which of us is the true artist?

No comments: