Wednesday, January 24, 2007

How has the experience of attending Otis affected your art or perception?

I did not attend Otis as an undergraduate or graduate student, but I can say that college affected my perception as a writer tremendously. I think you will agree with me when I say that higher education is intense. In the pressure cooker of college classes, I was pushed beyond my comfort zone in many ways. Professors, peers, and books challenged my values and freed me to define myself apart from my parents and community. Sometimes I go back and look at poems or articles I wrote when I was 19 and see how much I have grown and experienced. As my perspective broadened, the stories and poems I wrote evolved. Two-dimensional characters became lifelike and multi-dimensional on page.

Your immediate response to the question might be, "Otis hasn't affected me at all." If you take a look at your work or art before you attended Otis, then take a look at what you create now, you might see an evolution taking place. If your art does not reflect it, perhaps some perception of yours has been revised. I can't wait to see what you have to say. If you are one of those people who refuse to see the change in yourself, then answer me this: In what way would you like Otis to help or affect your work as an artist or designer?

1 comment:

Cailyn said...

Attending Otis has definitely influenced my art in a positive way. I’m very pleased because it’s the reason that I am going to art school. My intensions where to learn more and develop my skills so that I may master my craft, and because of my new classes I am on the way to accomplishing that. One of the most valuable techniques I have acquired is that of beginning any composition with a loose sketch. Life drawing helped me with that the most--creating quick gestural drawings of the models. Doing so helps me place objects correctly on the page, then establish the basic structure. It is much more effective doing this rather then trying to make the drawing perfect right off the bat. This will continue to affect my art for the rest of my life.